F.A.S.T protects you from cyber criminals!
Always keep the Firewall of your computer up and running. There are more than 65000 entry points in your computer, called 'ports'. A hacker can secretly enter your computer using any of these ports. Firewall keeps them safely locked & guarded.
Install a good Antivirus software to protect your computer from millions of viruses, spyware and malware. Antivirus software needs to be updated EVERYDAY because criminals keep creating new viruses, spyware and malware. Beware of fake antivirus programs, and use only a well-known antivirus or anti-malware.
Hackers are experts at guessing passwords. Therefore all your passwords must be VERY difficult to guess – your computer login password, Wi-Fi modem password, email password, social networking password, online banking password etc.
Trust with Caution
- DON’T trust any email which talks about Banking, Lottery, Free Gifts, Discounts, Miracle Medicines, Donations etc. Those emails are from robbers.
- NEVER get tempted by offers like free screensavers, wallpapers, cool cursors, cool games etc. They can infect your computer.
- NEVER subscribe to third party apps on Facebook or other social networking sites. They can steal your personal information.
- NEVER download software from unknown websites. They can be Trojans. There are many good free software on Internet (called Freeware or Shareware). Download them only from trusted sites like cnet.com, snapfiles.com, or filehippo.com.
- Use your credit card or debit card only on reputed websites which are secure (i.e. their URL starts with 'HTTPS' and not 'HTTP'). Use 'Private Browsing' option of your web browser when you want to do online payment or online banking.
C.A.R protects you from cyber bullies and anti-social elements!
Confidence - to deal with cyber bullies
The best way to discourage a cyber bully is to act with confidence. If someone is sending you harassing, threatening or embarrassing messages, don't reply in anger, and don't delete those messages in fear. Save all those emails or chat messages. Just send one confident reply to the bully – "Stop sending messages immediately. Else I will report to police and school/college management. I have saved all your messages as evidence."
Avoidance - to deal with anti-social elements
The best way to discourage anti-social elements on Internet is to avoid them completely. Never do any communication with them directly. Such people are like dirty pigs who want to spread dirt everywhere. If you fight with them directly, you will get dirty yourself... and they will enjoy it.
Reporting - against both, cyber bullies & anti-social elements
- In case of cyber bullies: As soon as you receive a threatening, harassing or embarrassing message, tell your Parents and close Friends immediately. Then, if the bully sends you more messages, reply back with one confident message as suggested above. Then if the bully doesn't stop, report the matter to school/college authorities (if he/she is from your school/college), else report the matter to the police.
- In case of anti-social elements: All websites and forums have 'Report Abuse' facility. Use that facility to report the content to the administrators of that website. If the content is seriously harmful, report the matter to the cyber crime cell of local police.
Secret Location protects you from real world criminals!
Real world criminals use Internet (especially social networking sites) to find the location of their target. Never share your home address, phone number, school/college name on social networking sites. Don't upload any photo which reveals that information. Never accept event invitations openly on Facebook. Never share anywhere on Internet, which place you or your family are going to visit... within the city or outside.